I am BEYOND over due for this update but I'm going to be really honest this is not something easy for me to write. If you are just now getting into this three part series I have done you can read part 1 and part 2 to catch up. This medical journey of ours seems like it's been going on forever and now that a conclusion is finally here it feels weird to say that it's over. I last left off with saying how we went to get a second opinion for a specialist who highly recommended Isaiah be fitted for a docband- which with careful consideration we agreed to move forward with it. This particular office had an in house financing program in which we were hopeful in maybe being approved for, since we were denied through our current insurance already. We moved forward with the process but that was quickly demolished when I got the call that even this in house financing program will not cover my son's band but instead offer a small discount which still brought the grand total of his helmet to be over $2,000. (Sigh) It was tough to hear how your son has a medical need yet there was nothing I can do about it because of finances. My faith was tested and I cried a lot wondering why Isaiah had to be the one to go through this.
A few weeks later we see yet another doctor at a different office to assess his head and for this appointment all I really wanted was closure. With a few tests, this new doctor really brought peace of mind to us and for that I am grateful. Isaiah is healthy in weight, is hitting all of his developmental milestones and is showing no signs of his head shape getting in the way of his brain growth. She assured me that the things the previous doctor mentioned would happen to him if we didn't get him the docband dosen't look like it would actually pan out to be that way- Praise God! Because he has brachy and not plagiocephaly he will just have to live with a slightly flatter head and a wider forehead. As far as learning and growing goes, he's right on track! We upped his tummy time and did the physical therapy exercises they recommended and it really helped round his head out (though at this point it will never be perfect) With looking at his before and afters his improvement was enough to have his doctor ok with him not being fitted. We started this process at two months and now that he's six months old I can really see a difference in his head. Again, it's not going to be perfect but at least he's going to be ok.
Honestly I'm wondering if I made something out of nothing? Like, how most babies do end up developing flat spots and end up being perfectly fine- did I just need to wait it out? Insurance was one of the main reasons why we decided not to helmet but having this peace of mind that he'll be ok means more to me than most will know. I'm ready to move on and focus on other things than obsessing over what I feel was probably never something to freak out over in the first place. Maybe it was just me being a first time mom and not really knowing what to expect! I do want to say thank you to EVERYONE who has sent sweet messages of encouragement and sent a prayer for us. It was tough and scary for us to go through this and to make it out on the other side of his brachyciphaly diagnosis and with the support of everyone it had made it just much more comforting. I am still raising money for babies with more severe cases than my son and have no other option to helmet- as you have read they can be VERY expensive. You can read more and donate HERE.